Friday 19 December 2008

Eulogy to My Pink Friend

Farewell my Pink Bike.

We may have spent a short time together, but I knew where to gently nudge your mudguard when you creaked. I knew how your left brake didn't work. I knew that I must never get into accidents for you will be hurt. I knew that I had to sit further back on your seat for it was crooked. I had faith that your pedals would support my weight as I first managed to stand up riding on you. On you, I learnt to ride with one hand. On you I learnt not to fall as I carried a cup of hot soup on one hand while riding you to class. On you, I made my first explorations of Shanghai. On you, I cycled alone to set up my first bank account. On you, I suffered multiple bruises and cuts.

On you, With you, I grew up.

Thank you... I'm sorry you had to die when I wasn't riding you. Wherever you go with your new form as scrap metal, I wish you all the best. Do carry a memory of me with you, for I most definitely will remember you... my pink friend.


On a side note, let us forget all the depressing stuff and be amused at this picture from TIME's "Pictures of the Week". It captures the scene where visiting parents of new students at a Chinese university were allowed to sleep overnight in the gym. :)


4 comments:

thoughts-illuminate said...

=X poor bike

how are you gonna get around now?

Alison said...

:( I got a new one of course. Though the shadow of Pink's death does hang so darkly over its dull blue frame.

margaret said...

do u happen to receive a brown packet parcel?

Alison said...

Yes Marg. Thanks for it! Was about to write you an e-mail. But i guess... here's fine too. :) MERRY CHRISTMAS! Really miss you guys. Such nostalgia! as i looked at the photos.